17 January 2008

Creating The Roll

1. This blog is meant to be the ongoging record of my research into and creation of a battle roll-of-arms for the Battle of Barnet, one of the skirmishes of the English Civil War (known by we Americans as the Wars of The Roses. The Battle of Barnet occurred on 14 April 1471 and pitted King Edward the IV of England and Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick. Of the Battle of Barnet, Wikipedia has this to day:
The main protagonists were King Edward IV of England and Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, former friends and allies who had fallen out as a result of Edward's tendency to favour the relatives of his queen, Elizabeth Woodville. In October of the previous year, Warwick "the Kingmaker" had driven Edward out of the country, replacing his Lancastrian predecessor, King Henry VI of England, on the throne. Warwick then made the mistake of agreeing to assist King Louis XI of France in his conflict with the Duke of Burgundy. This prompted the Burgundians to offer military aid to Edward, who returned to England on March 14, 1471. The two armies were evenly matched in numbers, but Warwick was expecting support from his son-in-law, George, Duke of Clarence, who happened to be Edward's brother and hurried to make his peace with the latter.
(taken from the Battle of Barnet entry) The principal purpose of this blog is to be an open an public journal of the results of my researches. They will extend into not only researching the content of the roll itself but also researching the materials and how they were created and used. I will be making some (but not all) of the materials I will be using, and sharing the interesting bits about heraldry along the way.
General Blog Policies – Addendum of 17 January AS XLII (2008)
In general, for the sake of clarity, I should set out my ideas about posting and updating.
The posting frequency remains to be determined. Very likely it will be irregular, with new information being mounted as it becomes available to me or rendered in any finished or useful form. I will also be posting interesting things I happen to find in as regards heraldry in general, but will try to restrain myself from posting items with little or no comment (and this may well be the first personal rule I break).
Since my research will include areas germane to medieval heraldry, which is a real-world thing (as opposed to SCAdian) which, in some areas, carries the force of civil law, my findings will touch both on the Current Middle Ages as well as Mundane concerns. I will try to make it clear which sphere I'm commenting in when I do so.

No comments: